The season of Advent is traditionally the time when we prepare to celebrate the coming of God as a human, and to look forward to Jesus coming to renew all creation, as well as the renewing of our hearts today by the Holy Spirit. As an aid to this, I am offering a Contemplative Advent Calendar which has been prepared by EngageWorship, a Christian organisation offering modern worship resources.
- Begin your devotion time by taking a few deep breaths, centering your heart on God.
- Read the day’s passage slowly, several times.
- Note any word that stands out for you.
- Reflect on what God might be saying to you through this word.
- Respond to God – in prayer, spoken or silent, in your own words or others’ words.
- Rest in God’s presence without an agenda, using the verse as an anchor point.
This way of meditating on a Bible verse uses the ancient practice of Lectio Divina. Use it as a time for you and for God, to receive a blessing from the Bible and from God.
Revd Helen Everard